How do you find the ideal swimsuit for your body type?
I can help!
Here are my TOP 10 ways to find the perfect swimsuit this season! All of the styles below are featured at Macy’s, but styles and selection may vary so check the store for pricing and availability. Also, be sure to talk to a sales executive. They’re a wealth of knowledge and always have great advice.
- 50′s-style panel swimsuits have a very slimming effect and are VERY in right now. But if you’re short, don’t choose a low-cut leg brief as this can make you appear dumpy. Many styles have low-legs, so make sure they curve up at the front to lengthen those gams! Retro-inspired styles are perfect for fuller busts too as they provide lots of support.
- Underwired tops and halter-necks and those which are molded are particularly good for busty figures, but make sure the straps are sturdy enough — thin, spaghetti-style straps just make your chest look even bulkier. Beware of bandeau-styles which can make you look top-heavy.
- Small-busted women should go for a style which has a lot of detailing around the bust. There are plenty of embellishments to choose from this season, from oversized ruffle to super sized bows. You are one of the enviable few that can get away with wearing small prints and look great in a triangle-top bikini.
- Women who are long in the torso need to find a style which is elongated enough in the body not to appear too tight and short, and therefore has a widening effect.
- Boy shorts are great for giving definition to a boyish shape and look GREAT on an hour-glass figure, but avoid if you carry weight around the hips and waist.
- Dark colors will flatter a more ample frame as they have a slimming effect, but lighter colors tend to show up every lump and bump. Baby pinks, pastel blues and yellows are okay if you are on the right side of 30, but you may wish to go for darker colors as you age, and nothing looks chicer (and more slimming) than a little black number, especially with a tan.
- Do some color blocking! It’s one of the season’s hottest fashion styles, so use it to your advantage! Mismatched bikinis can have a camouflaging effect. Wear a single block color on the half you want to disguise, and a print or pattern on the other. These are also great if your body might be proportioned differently. Then you can buy a bikini top and bottom of different sizes.
- When it comes to patterns and prints, go for a less fussy, medium-sized print or strong swirling ones to achieve a silhouette effect. They can hide all kinds of figure faults. BUT BEWARE: Big floral patterns can sometimes have the effect of enlarging your frame and small busy prints can be aging, so choose what is right for you. Sometimes, a well chosen, clever print can be more camouflaging than a single-block color!
- Vertical strips and diagonal ones create a great slimming effect. But avoid horizontal stripes like the plague, unless you’re very slim… or you want to widen your figure!
- Cover up the dreaded muffin top with high-waisted briefs or a slimming, dark toned one-piece.
Let me know how I can help or if you have ANY questions. It’s all about feeling confident and comfortable this summer. I would also love to hear any of your tips or swimwear “victories”.